It’s a New Year, and a ‘New You’, which means that if you’re anything like me, you’re promising to make enduring, healthy switches that don’t just last the month of January, but stick, and become part of a balanced, well-rounded weekly routine. It doesn’t have to be as hard as it sounds, so instead of giving ourselves impossible to stick to resolutions, let’s turn to commitments that are easy enough to follow through on, and that also bring something fundamentally filling and uplifting to the every day — say, like a detoxifying, immune-boosting weekly juice plan, à la Gwyneth Paltrow.
All Goop jokes aside, this year I’m genuinely on a mission to find effortless ways to incorporate healthy habits into my routine, and while I’ve never tried (nor really thought) about diving into the seemingly daunting world of juicing, I liked the prospect of sneaking extra nutrients into my diet wherever possible. I might just save a few extra coins too, considering I’m a sucker for purchasing a freshly-squeezed beetroot, carrot and ginger juice whenever I see one.
But, while the thought of doing it myself has always seemed slightly intimidating, messy and probably somewhat sticky, I decided to take juicing out of my imaginary too hard file and see if it was a feasible new habit to stick to.
If you too are curious about sipping your way to health in 2022, join me in my juicing journey to see if it’s right for you.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of what the actual juicing experience is like, let’s run through the why of it all. It’s simple — investing in a juicer is a great way to pack more vitamins and nutrients into your diet, which can help target specific concerns, including everything from immunity-boosting to detoxifying, as well as helping revive energy and even skin.
Plus, it’s delicious. First stop beyond the benefits of juicing, obviously, is finding the right equipment. I turned to Melbourne-born MOD, who are famed for their high-quality, easy-to-use appliances. The Australian label’s MOD Cold Press Juicer was launched in 2015, and it’s easy to see why it’s become a household favourite — it’s sleek, compact and worthy of a prized spot on your benchtop. Oh, and this hardworking, nifty juicer has also been awarded ‘Juicer of the Year’ from 2017 to 2022, so you know it’s good. Unlike traditional or centrifugal juicers, MOD’s juicing process is unique in that it extracts juice without heat friction or blades, meaning it reduces oxidisation and retains more of those good-for-you vitamins and minerals. Thanks to its wide-mouth chute and super-quiet operation (to get specific, featuring a 240w motor, 50DB max sound level and 65rpm!), the MOD juicer is also extremely easy to prep for and use.
Notably, the brand’s juicer is made from BPA free plastic and comes in 100% plastic-free packaging, a great touch for those also looking to limit their environmental impact this year.
I’ll be the first to admit, unpacking the MOD juicer did leave me feeling like I’d bitten off a bit more than I could chew with this particular appliance. But, after taking it step-by-step you quickly realise it’s not as intimidating as it might seem, and actually pretty straightforward (with even helpful guides on the actual machine, so you don’t have to go digging for the manual every time).
The appliance comes with a handy juicing guide, including how to prep all kinds of vegetables and fruits, as well as recipe cards and a grocery list to make the entire process even more seamless. I started with the brand’s recommended weekly plan to get a feel for what I like (as well as boost my confidence when it came to juicing), and I’ve since started the fun task of experimenting to create my own bespoke juice concoctions.
Below, a quick rundown of what I liked (and didn’t like) about the MOD juicer.
- The MOD Juicer’s famed reputation comes from the fact that it extracts more from your fruits and veggies than the average juicer, and it’s easy to believe when testing it out, seeing just how dry the pulp is!
- Who knew an appliance could be so silent? Not me! I’m a regular morning smoothie drinker, but often have to refrain from using the blender so as to not wake up my sleeping partner. But this? It’s not silent, but it’s by far more quiet than my blender. Looks like I’m switching out that morning smoothie.
- Despite its name, the MOD Juicer isn’t limited to just juicing, but can create delicious and nutritious sorbets and nut milks. I have yet to put nut milks to the test, but I have already created a delicious berry sorbet.
- I wouldn’t say cleanup is a breeze but it’s much easier than I had anticipated.
- The MOD Juicer is just like any high-quality appliance, which means it’s an investment - this particular juicer sits at $499, so you have to know it’s something you’re willing to continually use to get your money’s worth.
- While the MOD Juicer is compact, it still does come with a lot of bits and bobs, and as a renter who still lives in a relatively small space, it does take up a fair bit of shelf/benchtop.